Are you having friends and family members over to celebrate New Year's Day? Starting off the year with friends and family is a great way to begin. Why not start the year off with a bit of luck to make sure your year is filled with happiness. Wedding and Party Network has a list of foods that will help you eat yourself lucky for the brand new year.
- Pork – Since pigs are known to keep their feet planted and snouts moving forward when they eat, it is believed to symbolize progress for the future.
- Lentils – It is believed lentils resemble coins. Whenever you cook these lentils, they end up plumping up a bit. Therefore, be on the lookout for a plumper wallet.
- Fish – Since fish swim forward, people eat fish on New Year's to symbolize moving forward in their life. Also, some may think of it as abundance since fish swim in large schools.
- Greens – Of course, it's the color of money. Kale, spinach, cabbage, and collard are traditionally eaten on New Year's Day. Eat more greens for more wealth and prosperity.
- Black Eyed Peas – This is a common food to eat within the southern states. This is another food that represents abundance and coins so again eat these if you want a prosperous year.
- Pomegranate – What is this associated with? Abundance and fertility. So, if you're looking for either of those, pomegranates are a must.
- Citrus – When the Chinese celebrate the new year, they normally have bowls of tangerines and oranges for prosperity.
- Grapes – At midnight, be prepared to eat 12 grapes. Why? It's normally done in Spain and Spanish-speaking countries and you eat 12 grapes for each strike of the clock. This actually came around when they were having a grape surplus.
If you eat these foods on New Year's Day, you'll be extremely lucky, prosperous, and abundance for the upcoming year. Some believe and some may not, however, it's a fun tradition to have on the first day of the year.
Photo of Ham Hock & Black Eyed Peas via Wikimedia Commons