There are several wedding cake trends gaining popularity this year. These high fashion fondant creations are sure to catch the eye of every guest and make mouths water from miles around. Consider these ideas when meeting with your wedding cake consultant.
1. Black and White Pattern Wedding Cakes. It seems everywhere you look you'll see the Parisian wallpaper trend. So, why not in the wedding scene? This design is very elegant and quite stunning on a round tiered wedding cake. To blend this trend in with your other wedding decorations, use the pattern on other things such as napkins or tablecloth overlays.
2. CHOCOLATE!!! Forget traditional vanilla, switch it up! This year several brides are choosing dark chocolate truffle wedding cakes with beautiful detail and glamour. Give chocolate a chance! If you’re scared of the rich flavor, serve fruit along side such as raspberries or strawberries.
3. No Flowers Needed Just Crisp Details. Arts and crafts has gone chic in the wedding world this year. Crisp lines, exposed stitching and seamstress inspired details top the cake trends this season. Add detail to a light hued cake with vintage fondant buttons and fancy piping for a high fashion quilted look.
4. No Ordinary Shape Will Do. Brides are exploring their wedding cake shape options cakes this year. Oval tiers, cube tiers, and even asymmetric tiers (this can be complicated). These new styles are fresh and creative ways to spice up the otherwise ordinary cake shapes. Some of these new styles do compromise the amount of cake you get. So these might be great ideas for small, intimate weddings.
5. Small Makes A Big Statement. All the rage this year, mini cakes have become popular practically overnight. These mini cakes or personal cakes are part of the wedding decor. They surround the wedding cake and are adorned with a contrasting color to create a visual delight and a tasty treat. Mini cakes can also become gifts for guests. Package these cakes in favor boxes to send home with guests for wedding favors. (Two bird’s with one stone!)
Take these ideas along when you meet with your wedding cake consultant or baker and explore the options of a high fashion wedding cake for your 2009 wedding! Happy eating!