It means so much to have your closest friends stand up with you on your wedding day. They will be with you through so much of the planning experience and most importantly they will be with you on your wedding day. Your bridesmaids add so much to your ceremony from support and love to most importantly their friendship. And it will mean so much to them to stand up with you.
It is an honor to be part of the wedding party, and most are very pleased to be asked. But how do you put together your wedding party without stepping on any toes; or how do you pick bridesmaids who will really be there for you through the entire process? With some thought and care you can avoid offending anyone and will end up with a happy wedding party.
Wedding Attendant Tips:
- Choose people you know you can depend on. Dependability is perhaps the most important trait in a bridesmaid, especially the maid of honor, as she will have a lot of duties that the other bridesmaid may not have. You need someone you know will show up ready and on time for events. It is also important to have bridesmaids who are considerate, someone who will help; not try to take charge. Another important trait is courtesy. Your bridesmaids are like ambassadors for the bride and groom and need to behave in such a manner at all wedding related events.
- If you are having trouble picking between two best friends or two siblings, there is no rule that says you can’t have two maids of honor, or a maid and matron of honor. If you feel comfortable with this situation it is perfectly acceptable. Make sure your friends are ok with this decision as well. Just explain that they both mean so much to you and you want them share this special spot. The same goes for the groom, he can have two best men.
- If your best friend is a member of the opposite sex you can have an honor attendant. There is no rule that states all bridesmaids must be women. Of course, make sure that your friend is comfortable with this role.
- You do not have to have the same number of bridesmaids and groomsmen. This is typically done for symmetry, but if you have more special friends you would like to include than your fiancé does that is fine. Think of creative ways you can position them in the procession. Two bridesmaids may walk up together or one groomsmen may escort two bridesmaids.
- When you have picked your bridesmaids try to give them as much advanced notice as possible. They will need to clear their schedules, have time for alterations and possibly make travel arrangements.
- Always show your attendants that you appreciate them. It is a good idea to have a special gifts for all your attendants. You can give the same gift to all or choice unique personalized gifts for each individual wedding attendant.