Having a back to school party is a great way to re-connect with friends and to end the summer with a BANG! Your party will help kids ease their anxiety for the new school year and have a great time doing it! Invite friends, family and some of the children from your school. This is also a great way to make new friends! Here are some creative ideas for a great School themed party.
Creative Party Invitations
- Apple Invites: Using red card stock, cut it into the shape of an apple. With black marker, write U+R Invited! include date, time, place and RSVP.
- Report Cards: Find an outline of a report card online and fill each one out with the information for the party. It's an A+ Party!
- Crayon Notes: Using different colored card stock, cut it into the shape of a large crayon. With several different colors, write out the party information and include RSVP.
- Blackboard: Write out the invitation on a black board and snap a digital picture of it. Print them off or email them to your guests as their party invitation.
Red, blue and yellow are the colors of school! You can use your school's colors for added flair too. The main party decoration at your party is to decorate your party space with school supplies!
- Decorate your entry way with a message to your guests with sidewalk chalk!
- Cluster balloons and streamers and hang them from above
- Fill vases or buckets full of pencils
- Place a row of apples down the center of your table
- Use rulers and glue and arrange them into a "school supply bouquets"
- Bunch together crayons and markers for added decoration
- Scatter letter magnets along each table
- Display letter and number cut outs
- Use a globe as your centerpiece
- Laminate pictures of maps to use as place mats
- Fill vases with crayons or letter magnets and then add fresh flowers in basic colors to top it off!
Back to School Food
Keeping your party menu child friendly will make for happy children and easy cleanup!
- Serve small meals in a paper sacks! Sandwiches, chips and fresh fruit with a juice box or lemonade.
- Make your own pizza bar. Set out already made cheese pizza and let the kids add their own toppings!
- Alphabet or crayon cookies will make great desserts
- Build your own Sundae bar
- School Bus Cake
- Create brightly colored cupcakes and place apples, books or pencils on top as cupcake toppers
- Jello squares
School Inspired Activities
Every party needs entertainment, but when it comes to a school themed party, you can create fun activities that will keep the kids happy in no time!
Incorporate school ground games such as hopscotch, red rover, dodgeball, simon says and hide and go seek.
- Bobbing for apples is a fun game for kids of all ages. Just make sure to offer supervision.
- Water balloons – Warn your guests before the party to bring extra clothes and towels!
- Finger painting – Provide smocks or plastic covering to protect clothing.
- Three legged race
- Musical chairs
- Hot potato
- Bookmarks – Lay out pre-cut card stock, glitter pens, stickers, markers and glue. Let each child create their own bookmark.
Send guests home with school supplies! Use a paper sack with each guest's name written on the front to hold the supplies.
- Brightly colored notebooks
- Backpack charms
- Sidewalk chalk
- Glitter pens or rulers
A great way to give back to your community is to ask each guest to bring a few school supplies to donate to local children who are less fortunate. Set up backpacks near the door for the guests to drop their items in. Call your school to get information on what supplies are needed and where to take them.