And the award goes to…YOU, for throwing a fabulous award-winning party. The start of award season, which means the start of fabulous parties! The 68th Annual Golden Globes will air this Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 8:oo p.m. EST on NBC. This year, with so many great nominees, from Boardwalk Empire to Toy Story 3, there are countless fun, themed party ideas you can do to make a get together memorable. Here are a few party ideas to get you started for your award viewing party.
- Attire: Invite your guests to dress up in black tie just like the celebrities do for the red carpet, or ask them to come dressed as their favorite TV or movie character and have your guests can vote for the best costume of the night.They can dress up as 60's theme in honor of Mad Men, sport a track suit representing Glee, Rapunzel for Tangled, or a ballerina for Black Swan. There are so many costumes that your guests will be able to come up with or let them dress in beautiful gowns and suits. Everyone will look amazing and they'll have fun with it!
- Paparazzi: Turn your guests into the paparazzi by giving everyone a disposable camera. You can even roll out the red carpet as guest arrives and have cardboard cut outs of people, possible celebrities being nominated that you can find at your local party store and hire a photographer to take their picture as they walk in. A red carpet is just a fun party decoration that everyone will enjoy. Plus, everyone loves taking pictures so you'll have a ton to remember the night
- Decorations: Visit your local party store for black and gold balloons, giant gold stars, and metallic paper plates and cups. Think formal and black tie affair party decorations.
- Activities: Present your guests with ballots upon their arrival, so they can try to guess which nominee will win each category. During commercials, ask your guests trivia questions about the nominees. It will keep guests entertained throughout the night.
- Menu: Finger foods are a good choice for the Golden Globes so your guests can eat while sitting in front of the TV. Plan your menu around the nominees. Make it a themed night all around. Serve:
Tombstone Cupcakes in honor of The Walking Dead
Moon Pies in honor of Despicable Me
Mini burgers in honor of cowboy Woody and cowgirl Jessie from Toy Story 3
Tea, cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, and scones in honor of the Mad Hatter tea party scene in Alice in Wonderland
Bangers in blankets for brothers Micky and Dicky Ward in The Fighter
- Libations: Champagne is a must at a Hollywood party, but you can get even more creative with cocktails inspired by nominees like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire – Canadian Club is arguably a main character in both these shows. Serve Don Draper’s favorite whiskey neat or in a classic cocktail like a CC and Ginger ale or a Manhattan (recipes below).
You can go with a Bloody Mary in honor of Dexter or come up with creative names for your favorite cocktails. Seduced Swan for Black Swan, Zucerberg Zest for Social Network, Dreamworld for Inception or a Pina Colada for Hawaii Five-O. Get creative with the names and drinks. Guests will love the idea that they're drinking a cocktail inspired by their favorite movie nominee.
CC and Ginger
1.5 parts Canadian Club® 6 Year
4 parts Ginger ale
Directions: Combine ingredients in a shaker and shake vigorously. Pour over ice into a rocks glass.
CC Reserve Manhattan
1 part Canadian Club® Reserve 10 year
1/3 part Sweet Vermouth
Dash Angostura® bitters
Twist of lemon
Directions: Pour the whiskey and sweet vermouth into a mixing glass. Add dash of bitters. Fill the mixing glass with ice. Stir. Cover the mixing glass with a cocktail strainer and pour the liquid into a chilled martini glass. To garnish, run a twist of lemon around the lip of the glass and then drop the twist into the drink. Then add the maraschino cherry.
Finally, make sure you have plenty of seating around your TV. So, sit back and start watching your favorite celebrities on your television with all your friends and have fun!
This post is brought to you by Philadelphia Party Caterers
Not in Philadelphia, PA? No worries, use Wedding and Party Network's handy party planning directory to help you find party caterers near you!